Apply for A Permit
NOTICE: We are going digital in 2023!
The Town of Boone Planning and Inspections Department is excited to announce that the Department is implementing a new permitting software, CivicGov! CivicGov is a web-based software that will allow the Department and applicants to transition away from paper submittals with a final goal of only accepting, for the most part, digital submittals through the use of a “citizen portal.” Once the portal becomes active, applicants can submit their applications, pay their invoices, check the status of their applications, request inspections, and view the results of those inspections all through the citizen portal. Please see below for timeline details:
Phase 1: Soft-Launch (July-September 2023)
Effective July 10, 2023, the Planning and Inspections Department will “soft-launch” CivicGov. Phase 1 will allow Planning and Inspections Permit Techs and Project Manager Liaisons, along with all of the Town’s review team members, to become acclimated with the system and for us to work out any “bugs” we may encounter. During this phase, applicants will still be required to submit hard copy applications (see below) though we will require applicants to digitally submit all plans, details, specifications, and studies to email@example.com.
Phase 2: Citizen Portal Opened (October-December 2023)
Effective October 1, 2023, or sooner, the Planning and Inspections Department will “open” the citizen portal if the soft launch is successful. Applicants will have the choice to submit applications either through the portal or through the Planning and Inspections office. However, we will still require applicants to digitally submit all plans, details, specifications, and studies to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Phase 3: Final Implementation (January 1, 2024)
Effective January 1, 2024, the Town of Boone, with few exceptions, will only accept applications and payments submitted through the citizen portal.
Please note: Pre-application meetings with a Project Manager Liaison are required for Annexations, Special Use Permits, Variances, Major Subdivision Preliminary Plat Approvals, Zoning Map Amendments, and Certificates of Appropriateness for Major Work.
- ABC Compliance Inspection Application (PDF)
- Accessory Electrical Vehicle Charging Station Application (PDF)
- Accessory Solar Energy System Permit Application (PDF)
- At-Risk Foundation Permit Application (PDF)
- Demolition/Moving Building Permit Application (PDF)
- Permanent Sign Permit Application (PDF)
- Renovation and Repair Small Project Work Application (PDF)
- Short Form Building Permit Application (PDF); use for single-trade under $40,000 or equipment changeouts
- Temporary Construction Trailer Application (PDF)
Unified Development Ordinance Text Amendment Application
Official Zoning Map Amendment Applications
- Sign Regulation Revisions: UDO Article 26 Signs has been revised, effective July 1, 2023. Please note that numerous changes have been made to the regulations in order to be compliant with statutory requirements, case law, and the need to modernize and update the regulations. Please visit the Town's web page dedicated to the Unified Development Ordinance or call Planning and Inspections at 828-268-6960 for more details.
- Town of Boone Fee Schedule Updates: Please see below for the Planning and Inspections and Public Works Fee Schedules that are effective as of July 1, 2023.