Unified Development Ordinance
The Planning and Inspections Department administers and enforces the Town of Boone Unified Development Ordinance (UDO). The UDO is an ordinance regulating and controlling the development of land and matters relating to it within the Town of Boone to promote and protect the community's health, safety, and general welfare. It is crafted to result in a built environment that meets the goals of the Town of Boone Comprehensive Plan.
Request an Amendment to the UDO
Text amendments to the UDO may be initiated by submitting a complete application and the associated fee to the Planning and Inspections Department.
The following is a summary of the process:
- Submit a UDO Text Amendment Application with the proposed text and pay the associated fee to the Planning and Inspections Department.
- Planning and Inspections Staff will forward the request to Town Council at the next regularly scheduled Town Council meeting.
- Town Council reviews the proposed text and sends the case to be heard at a future public hearing if the request is approved.
- A public hearing before the Planning Commission and the Town Council is held.
- After the Public Hearing, the Planning Commission meets to make recommendations on the case.
- The Planning Commission's recommendations are then forwarded to the next regularly scheduled Town Council meeting. Town Council is the final approval authority for all UDO text amendments.
The overall time frame to complete the process may depend on the complexity of the proposed amendment.
Visit the Town Council/Planning Commission Public Hearing page for upcoming changes.
You may download the UDO in the section below, Current UDO and Previous UDO Archive.
Current UDO and Previous UDO Archive:
- Unified Development Ordinance, amended July 1, 2023*
- Unified Development Ordinance, amended December 14, 2022 (PDF)
- Unified Development Ordinance Archive
*On May 10, 2023, Council approved modifications to the UDO to revise and modernize UDO Article 26 Signs. Please note numerous changes have been made to the regulations to comply with statutory requirements, case law, and the need to modernize and update the regulations. Please call Planning and Inspections at 828-268-6960 with any questions.
UDO Articles from UDO Effective July 1, 2023
- Table of Contents (PDF)
- Article 1 General Provisions (PDF)
- Article 2 Administrative Mechanisms (PDF)
- Article 4 Development Approvals (PDF)
- Article 5 Subdivisions (PDF)
- Article 6 Quasi-Judicial Hearings (PDF)
- Article 7 Nonconformities (PDF)
- Article 8 Historic Preservation Procedures (PDF)
- Article 9 Amendments (PDF)
- Article 12 Enforcement (PDF)
- Article 14 Zoning District Regulations (PDF)
- Article 15 Limited Use Requirements (PDF)
- Article 19 Grading (PDF)
- Article 20 Soil Erosion and Sediment Control (PDF)
- Article 21 Stormwater Management (PDF)
- Article 22 Utilities (PDF)
- Article 23 Driveways, Streets, and Sidewalks (PDF)
- Article 24 Parking (PDF)
- Article 25 Community Appearance Standards (PDF)
- Article 26 Signs (PDF)
- Article 29 Watershed Protection (PDF)
- Article 30 Flood Damage Prevention (PDF)
- Article 31 Landscape Standards (PDF)
- Article 34 Definitions (PDF)
- Appendix A Application Information (PDF)
- Appendix B Comparative Tables (PDF)
- Appendix C Details and Specifications Manual (PDF)
- Appendix D Downtown Boone Local Historic District Design Guidelines and Handbook (PDF)